This position, previously announced, has been re-opened for a 12-month tenure, beginning January 2011.
New York University
New York University’s Division of the Libraries seeks a Programmer/Analyst to work on the “Papyrological Navigator” (http://papyri.info) and associated systems. Papyri.info is a web-based research portal that provides scholars worldwide with the ability to search, browse and collaboratively edit texts, transcriptions, images and metadata relating to ancient texts on papyri, pottery fragments and other material. The incumbent will work closely with the Project Coordinator and with scholars involved in the project at NYU’s Institute for the Study of the Ancient World, Duke University, the University of Kentucky and the University of Heidelberg, as well as with NYU Digital Library Technology staff.
The incumbent’s initial responsibilities will include: close collaboration with project team members to enhance and extend a robust production environment at NYU for the ongoing ingest and processing of new and updated text transcriptions, metadata and digital images; performing both analysis and programming of any required changes or enhancements to current PN applications.
Candidates should have the following skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or information science and 3 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination
- Must include experience developing web applications using Java
- Experience with metadata standards (e.g. TEI, EpiDoc)
- Experience working in Unix/Linux environments
- Preferred: Experience with Apache Solr, RDF triple stores (e.g. Mulgara), Clojure
- Preferred: Experience designing, building, and deploying distributed systems
- Preferred: Experience working with non-Roman Unicode-based textual data (esp. Greek)
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
Applicants should submit resume and cover letter, which reflects how applicant’s education and experience match the job requirements.
NYU offers a competitive salary and superior benefit package, which includes tuition benefits for self and eligible family members, generous vacation, medical, dental, and retirement plans. For more information about working at NYU visit our website at: www.nyucareers.com.
To apply for this position online, visit
NYU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.